500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes
2.5K Post Likes
500 Posts Bling
250 Posts Bling
100 Posts Bling
50 Posts Bling
Topic starter

Decarboxylating cannabis for edibles and oils, is an important step in getting the best out of your crop. With the rise in popularity of cannabis edibles, more and more people are getting high or medicating with cannabis by adding it to their food.

Before you make cannabis edibles, you should ensure your cannabis is decarboxylated, if it isn't, you will only be receiving a small amount of the active ingredients.

For the full effect you want from your edibles, decarboxylating is a must! It is easy to do, and it will improve the effects from your edibles massively!

Here is a simple, easy to follow guide on decarboxylating cannabis for edibles and oils. It will help you understand why decarbing is important, and take you through how to do it, step by step.

If you need any extra help or advice with decarboxylating cannabis, then feel free to post a question in our cannabis growers forum!

Contents

What is Decarboxylating Cannabis

When cannabis is heated, decarboxylation takes place. The levels of cannabinoids like THC and CBD are very low in a cannabis plant, until it is heated. When a bud is heated, decarboxylation occurs, and the conversion of cannabinoids takes place.

Heating the buds will remove carboxylic acids, and convert inactive cannabinoids such as CBDA and THCA into a more psychoactive compound THC and CBD.

When cannabis is smoked, it is heated when it is lit. This causes the cannabinoids to convert into their more psychoactive counter parts. But when making edibles and oils, sometimes you will not use any heat, and THCA and CBDA will not be able to convert to THC and CBD.

This is why decarboxylating cannabis before you use it for for edibles and oils is important.

THCA and THC

THCA is a less active compound than THC. Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) is converted into THC when it is heated. THCA will have little psychoactive effect on you, and only when the cannabis is decarboxylated, will it turn into the active cannabinoid THC.

CBDA and CBD

CBD is another well known cannabinoid. It doesn't have a psychoactive effect to it, but has been shown to have many medicinal properties.

CBDA and CBD differ slightly in their medicinal properties, so in some cases, CBDA might be better option for you than CBD.

The same process occurs with CBDA as with THCA and THC, when it is heated, the carboxylic acid is released, and it is converted into CBD.

Why Decarboxylating Cannabis is Important

Cannabis growers forum & community, How to grow cannabis, how to grow weed, a step by step guide to growing weed, cannabis growers forum, need help with sick plant, what's wrong with my cannabis plant, percys Grow Room, the Grow Room, percys Grow Guides, we'd growing forum, weed growers community, how to grow weed in coco, when is my cannabis plant ready for harvest, how to feed my cannabis plant, beginners guide to growing weed, how to grow weed for personal use, cannabis plant deficiency, how to germinate cannabis seeds, where to buy cannabis seeds, best weed growers website

If the cannabis you use, isn't decarbed, the cannabinoids will not be able to convert to their more psychoactive compounds, and the effect from the cannabis will be minimal.

Decarboxylating cannabis is a great way to increase the potency before you ingest it. It is easy to do, and it will really make a huge difference, especially if you're using cannabis in edibles.

Smoking and Vaping Cannabis

When cannabis is smoked, or vaped, the buds will be heated to a level where they vaporise, or combust. Because this takes heat, it decarboxylates the cannabis whilst it is burning.

Though smoking and vaping will decarb your cannabis, it will not be able to fully decarboxylate it. For best results, it should be heated slowly, for a long period of time.

So even if you only smoke cannabis, decarb some before you smoke some next, and see they difference in the effect it has on you.

Cannabis Edibles

Eating cannabis, or any cannabis extracts, can have different effects on people. Some people claim to be hit really hard by it, some don't feel much at all. This can be down to the fact that the cannabis was not decarboxylated before it was used to make the edibles.

Even when you're going to use the cannabis in something you cook, it should be decarboxylated first to get the best results.

What you need to Decarboxylate Cannabis

Decarboxylating cannabis is easy, and it doesn't take very long. You only need a few things to do it too:

1: Cannabis
You can use buds, sugar leaf or keif. If you are using buds, then you should break the buds into small pieces before decarbing them

2: Baking Tray
Something to put the cannabis onto whilst it is decarboxylating in the oven

3: Parchment/ Greaseproof Paper
This will be placed on top of the baking tray, and then the cannabis will be placed on top of it, in a fine even layer

4: An Oven
An electric or gas oven will be fine. You should preheat it before adding the cannabis on the tray into the oven

How to Decarboxylate Cannabis

Here is an awesome video guide to decarbing from Cloudy Kitchen! Decarbing is real easy to do, this video is a few minutes long and will give you all the info you need to decarb your cannabis:

Preheat Your Oven

Before putting your cannabis into the oven, you want to ensure the oven is preheated. When your cannabis goes into the oven, you want all of the heat working on decarbing, not heating up the oven.

Preheat the oven to

240F ( 110°c)
If using a gas oven, this will be about half way up to gas mark one! Very low.

By preheating you ensure the buds will be heated evenly, at the correct temperature, for the correct amount of time.

Break Buds Down

Decarboxylating cannabis step 2, How to grow legal cannabis, a step by step guide to growing weed, cannabis growing guide, tips for marijuana growers, growing cannabis plants for the first time, marijuana growers forum, marijuana growing tips, cannabis plant problems, cannabis plant help, marijuana growing expert advice.

Break down the buds, but do not grind them. You don't want the layer to be too thin, but rather have the buds small enough for heat to disperse evenly through them.

If the buds are too big, then the inside will not be decarbed to the same level as the outside. For a nice even result, the buds should be broken down before placing them into the oven.

Place Buds Evenly on a Tray

decarbing cannabis, step 3, How to grow legal cannabis, a step by step guide to growing weed, cannabis growing guide, tips for marijuana growers, growing cannabis plants for the first time, marijuana growers forum, marijuana growing tips, cannabis plant problems, cannabis plant help, marijuana growing expert advice.

After placing a layer of parchment paper over your baking tray, you can lay your buds evenly across it. Don't pile it into heaps, or have a thick layer. Just a thin, even layer spread out across the baking tray.

Bake in the Oven

With the oven preheated at the correct temperature ( 240°F 110°C), you can now place the baking tray, with the cannabis on it, into the oven.

temperature for decarbing cannabis, decarboxylation of cannabis,How to grow legal cannabis, a step by step guide to growing weed, cannabis growing guide, tips for marijuana growers, growing cannabis plants for the first time, marijuana growers forum, marijuana growing tips, cannabis plant problems, cannabis plant help, marijuana growing expert advice.

If the cannabis you're decarboxylating is dry, then you should bake it in the oven for around 20-25 mins.

If you are using cannabis that is wet, and has just been harvested, you should add an additional 20 minutes to the time in the oven to ensure it fully dries out.

Remove and Let it Cool

After the correct amount of time in the oven (25 minutes for dry buds, 45 minutes for wet buds) your decarbed cannabis will need to stand for ten minutes to cool down.

Once the cannabis is cooled, you can use it for edibles and oils, and it will be much more potent.

When You Should Decarboxylate Cannabis

If you're using cannabis for oils or edibles, then you should decarboxylate it first. You can even try decarboxylating cannabis when you're smoking it. Though the THCA does get converted into THC when you smoke and vape cannabis, it isn't as efficient as it could be.

By decarbingiting your cannabis, you will see a huge improvement in the potency, especially if you're using it for edibles and oils that do not use heat in the process of making it.

I hope this guide helps you. If there is anything we didn't cover, or any extra questions you have, then sign up to our cannabis growers forum and ask a question. We are always happy to help.

Thanks for reading!

Posted : October 2, 2019 11:45 am
Aadam6om6, Carraig, BubbleHok and 34 people reacted
JenK
 JenK
(@jenk)
Caryophyllene Forum Member

Can we add recipes here? I love cooking and making lotions, soap, and bath ? bombs ? 

JKiss

Posted : October 2, 2019 12:18 pm
Stares@plants, Carraig, BubbleHok and 33 people reacted
3plantsPete
(@3plantspete)
Myrcene Forum Member
1 Plant of the Month Win
100 Post Likes
250 Post Likes
3 Complete Grow Diaries
5k Post Likes
500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes
2.5K Post Likes
500 Posts Bling
250 Posts Bling
100 Posts Bling
50 Posts Bling

Nice article cloudy great read. Always wanted to try edibles but I’m a greedy fuck! I’d start eating wouldn’t be able to stop then wake up in a week tripping my tits off ?  but I could make oil I suppose. Any way thanks for the info mate will definitely come in useful and love the oven looks smart ?✌️

If your plan is for one year, plant rice
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children.
Confucius

Posted : October 2, 2019 12:25 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 27 people reacted
White Widow
(@white-widow)
Ocimene Forum Member
100 Post Likes
250 Post Likes
500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes

Posted by: @jenk

Can we add recipes here? I love cooking and making lotions, soap, and bath ? bombs ? 

If you can't here, be sure to make a section! I'd love to try ?

Posted : October 2, 2019 1:04 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 21 people reacted
Macky
(@macky)
Alpha-Pinene Admin
Patreon Bling
1 Complete Grow Diary Award
The High Council Award
Admin Bling
Discord Member
10k Posts Bling
100k Likes Bling
Member of the Year
Member for 4 Years

@jenk

For sure Jen!! Make an article and I can maybe put it on the front end too if you like Smile that would be a sweet post

Please keep up to date with forum rules and posting guidelines to keep the forum tidy 🙂
Forum Rules
Posting Guidelines
Community Standards
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
― Mark Twain

Posted : October 2, 2019 1:12 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 15 people reacted

Canna_Educator_
(@cloudy_kitchen)
Linalool Forum Member
100 Post Likes
250 Post Likes
500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes
2.5K Post Likes
500 Posts Bling
250 Posts Bling
100 Posts Bling
50 Posts Bling
Topic starter

Cheers for making this into an article Macky ? 

If anyone on the forum needs recipes, advice, or even an approximate dosing equation, feel free to DM me on here or Instagram. I just decarbed 20grams of trim yesterday and making some coconut oil today, can't wait!

For this one, I didn't have any parchment paper, so I just used foil and did less time in the oven, with the trim I decarbed for one hour in total. Anywhere between 25-60 minutes is good in my opinion, however, there are quite a few different methods that you can try at home.

I have been getting into mason jar decarbing a bit lately as some of the terpenes stick to the side of the mason jar instead of being heated off

Posted : October 2, 2019 4:26 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 21 people reacted
Canna_Educator_
(@cloudy_kitchen)
Linalool Forum Member
100 Post Likes
250 Post Likes
500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes
2.5K Post Likes
500 Posts Bling
250 Posts Bling
100 Posts Bling
50 Posts Bling
Topic starter

Posted by: @3plantspete

I’d start eating wouldn’t be able to stop then wake up in a week tripping my tits off ?  but I could make oil I suppose. 

LOL - If you make a batch of 500ml oil with 7-10 grams of cannabis in it, that is a good starting point in my opinion and you can eat a lot of the edibles and not get too wrecked. As well as using little bits of it here and there to cook things like chicken, pork etc

Posted : October 2, 2019 4:29 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 27 people reacted
Macky
(@macky)
Alpha-Pinene Admin
Patreon Bling
1 Complete Grow Diary Award
The High Council Award
Admin Bling
Discord Member
10k Posts Bling
100k Likes Bling
Member of the Year
Member for 4 Years

Glad you like it cloudy Smile Hope you and your girls are good mate

Please keep up to date with forum rules and posting guidelines to keep the forum tidy 🙂
Forum Rules
Posting Guidelines
Community Standards
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
― Mark Twain

Posted : October 2, 2019 4:53 pm
Carraig, BubbleHok, Stootie and 18 people reacted
littlegardens
(@littleg)
Ocimene Forum Member
100 Post Likes
250 Post Likes
500 Post Likes
1K Post Likes

Hi guys.

Awesome right up cloudy!

Little question- as of yet I’m not producing a lot of bud/material.

How small amount can I decarb and does it differ the process at all?

many thanks in advance. Lg

Posted : January 2, 2021 10:41 am
Carraig, Zombie Nation, BubbleHok and 27 people reacted
Toploader
(@toploader)
Limonene Respected User VIP
Patreon Bling
Active Grow Diary Bling
Discord Member
1k Posts Bling
25K Post Likes
Member for 2 Years
5 Complete Grow Diaries

I'm not sure there's a lower limit really. Obviously you may only have enough to infuse a small amount of oil and therefore make a small brownie, cookie or whatever you are doing, but you still should be able to produce something. I use mainly buds to produce my oil and believe that has helped. The tinctures too seem pretty lively.

I do use an Ardent Nova decarboxylator. This is particularly suitable for small quantities. Good luck, have fun 😁

Time to grow old disgracefully.

Posted : January 2, 2021 10:50 am
Carraig, Zombie Nation, BubbleHok and 21 people reacted

Page 1 / 3

Our forum is free to join. We are an international cannabis forum that helps people all over the world grow their own personal supply of cannabis. Through our site you will find cannabis breeding forumscannabis deficiency forumsindoor cannabis growing forums, and much more. 

We are a home growers cannabis forum, and we only allow people who grow cannabis for personal use to be members. Our mission is to help you grow your own cannabis. We do not buy/sell/trade cannabis, or equipment for growing cannabis. Our site is strictly a cannabis smokers forum, cannabis growers forum and forum for medical cannabis users.

Use our guides on how to grow cannabis, cannabis grow diaries, and growers forum to find all the info you need to learn how to grow your own cannabis.

Any member who is suspected of growing cannabis for commercial gains will be banned immediately.

Please read our forum rules, and enjoy the site.

Find us on all social networks! Just search for Percys Grow Room