7 Posts
3 Users
132 Likes
Idealbatch
(@idealbatch)
Terpinolene Forum Member
100 Post Likes
Topic starter

Hello people, so after running my grow in the loft for a whole year now I’ve struggled with high/low temps obviously. Not unmanageable but I’m using way to much electricity in winter to heat it! Summer was bearable as my fan and filter is oversized. If I swap out my 600w hps for a led in summer I’m sweet. 

But by the by I need to insulate. I use a loft style tent and was thinking of just insulating around it rather than insulating the full loft. 

Anybody have experience growing in a loft that could give me a few pointers and tips? 

I thought would it be worth changing my exhaust so it vents back into my loft space rather than out the chimney? 

I pull air passively from inside the house so I aren’t using the loft space air I just thought it makes sense rather than pumping my heat straight out. 

Ive tried having my fan on a timer which I quickly stopped because of t just spikes humidity and I have my fan on the lowest setting on my controller which I believe is about 25%. 

Any info much appreciated! 

Might even convince the missus to let me move down into the spair room lol! Doubt it tho 

Posted : January 29, 2020 2:39 pm
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, Green Beard and 18 people reacted
Macky
(@macky)
Alpha-Pinene Admin
Patreon Bling
1 Complete Grow Diary Award
The High Council Award
Admin Bling
Discord Member
10k Posts Bling
100k Likes Bling
Member of the Year
Member for 4 Years

Build like a little room out of insulation boards for your tent to fit in, but its best not to recycle the air Smile

Insulation is your friend when growing on the loft, the more heat, or cold you can keep out the better, so good insulation is crucial. 

Air needs to intake form somewhere cool, and vent straight out, without interfering with the environment in the loft.

Zombie Nation will be able to tell you more mate, he is the builder round here lol

Please keep up to date with forum rules and posting guidelines to keep the forum tidy 🙂
Forum Rules
Posting Guidelines
Community Standards
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
― Mark Twain

Posted : January 29, 2020 3:34 pm
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, Green Beard and 15 people reacted
(@zn)
Valencene Known User
1 Plant of the Month Win
50k Post Likes
2.5k Posts Bling

Cheapest way is to do just half of loft, the half with your tent in, you can then still vent in & out from the remaining space. Build a 3x2 frame down from rafters with a back on it and insulate with either rockwool or PIR board then cover the inside of the frame.

You can make a door using the same materials although maybe 2x2 would work better for this...do not get tempted to put your extraction or intake too low into eaves of building otherwise you may get issues with beasties or damp in the building, cover intake hose with a screen or nylon stocking etc. to stop shit getting in.

Posted : January 29, 2020 4:34 pm
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, Green Beard and 18 people reacted
Idealbatch
(@idealbatch)
Terpinolene Forum Member
100 Post Likes
Topic starter

Yeah I was hoping I could just build a room a round my tent, it looks quite easy to do due to where my tent is positioned within a set of diagonal beams. 

It would be a triangle shamed room though but don’t think it would make a difference really would it? It’s hard to describe so I’ll get some pics up tomorrow. My tent is a loft shaped tent with the tapered roof to fit within the beams. 

Yeah I’m lucky where the chimney stack exits the loft it’s right behind my tent so I have a 90 degree bend out the tent and straight up and out with only 1 ft of ducting. And my intake is split I have a passive 6” intake from my airing cupboard on 2nd floor because it’s warmer air and then a 4” passive intake from my bathroom extraction which runs through my small veg box and then into the flower tent.

ill get some photos tomorrow and start to plan my build cheers lads!

Posted : January 29, 2020 10:08 pm
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, Hart and 18 people reacted
(@zn)
Valencene Known User
1 Plant of the Month Win
50k Post Likes
2.5k Posts Bling

@idealbatch

As long as chimney stack is not used by any appliances, all good 😉

Posted : January 30, 2020 6:07 am
Canna_Educator_, twisted1, Hart and 12 people reacted

Idealbatch
(@idealbatch)
Terpinolene Forum Member
100 Post Likes
Topic starter

@zn

No mate, there’s no longer a gas fire and nothing else I can see or think would use it? Boiler vents out a different place. Good thinking though I’d never have though tbh. 

Only thing I wish I had in the loft was a plumbed in drain. Would make life so much easier but no realistic was of plumping one internally, and would look too dodgy going externally. 

Posted : January 30, 2020 9:12 am
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, twisted1 and 18 people reacted
(@zn)
Valencene Known User
1 Plant of the Month Win
50k Post Likes
2.5k Posts Bling

@idealbatch

Easily done mate...have been to 2 grows where they had done the same with working gas fires below...massively dangerous as fumes were venting into loft space too...

You could possibly run a 3m length of hosepipe out into the gutter with something attatched to the usable end that you can pour stuff down but you need to make sure it stays in the gutter as it can cause all sorts of issues...

Or maybe into a bathroom below

Posted : January 30, 2020 9:26 am
Canna_Educator_, ScottishMac, twisted1 and 12 people reacted

Our forum is free to join. We are an international cannabis forum that helps people all over the world grow their own personal supply of cannabis. Through our site you will find cannabis breeding forumscannabis deficiency forumsindoor cannabis growing forums, and much more. 

We are a home growers cannabis forum, and we only allow people who grow cannabis for personal use to be members. Our mission is to help you grow your own cannabis. We do not buy/sell/trade cannabis, or equipment for growing cannabis. Our site is strictly a cannabis smokers forum, cannabis growers forum and forum for medical cannabis users.

Use our guides on how to grow cannabis, cannabis grow diaries, and growers forum to find all the info you need to learn how to grow your own cannabis.

Any member who is suspected of growing cannabis for commercial gains will be banned immediately.

Please read our forum rules, and enjoy the site.

Find us on all social networks! Just search for Percys Grow Room